Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dick & Jane and Friends

Happy Tuesday my ravs!  I thought I would share with you today, why you see Dick and Jane and Sally and Spot and Puff and Tim (the teddy bear) as happy figures on your blog background. 



When grandma-ma was a little girl, these are the first reader characters that she was introduced to when she was first learning to read in school.  I bet your mommy and daddy may remember them too.  Although, they may not have used the same readers as me, these delightful characters are recognized worldwide. 

Now, Grandma-ma went to Catholic school so our "easy readers" had the same characters but they had different names.  I knew them as John, Jean and Judy.   I know of another family that all have the same "sound" for their children's names.  Can you guess who that is?   Here is a hint...they live in Italy.



Whether you know them as Dick and Jane and baby sister Sally or as I did, John, Jean and baby sister Judy, they were a fun family who did lots of things together and had many adventures.  My favorite stories were about when they visit grandma and grandpa on the farm. They had lots of farm adventures and since I was a city child, this was very exciting to me.

Baby Judy or (Sally) was always doing something silly with Tim, her teddy bear.  Here is Judy trying to help Tim drink water from a fountain but instead sprays her brother and sister. 

You can ask your mom or dad if they have a favorite story of Dick and Jane too.  Well, my raviolis, you have a wonderful Tuesday and know that Grandma-ma loves you all.  Hugs and chilly kisses because it is cold here.

No comments: